Saturday, March 31, 2012

Meeting people in yarn stores

I seem to have an ability to attract new knitters.  Maybe it's the yarn fumes coming off my clothes.  Maybe it's my hair color.  Maybe it's the way I am usually holding multiple hanks of yarn while I make up my mind.  Or maybe my aura reaches out and grabs them (there is a precedent: many years ago at a mall in Philadelphia my "aura" reached out and grabbed a passing psychic: she told me it had done so and she had something she had to share with me...I apologized and told her I thought it was better trained than that). 

Anyway, I am often minding my own business, trying to pick up inexpensive yarn for a quick washable project and they will come.  The conversation always begins with one of two phrases.  The one I don't care for is "you look like you knit a lot" (unless I'm wearing a home made item). The other is "are you a knitter?"

Of course I answer yet, and then the conversation begins.  Today a lovely woman at a store wanted my advice on needles and yarn for a baby project and whether the store's beginner classes were any good.  We had a lovely chat.  I hope she gets hooked and that I run into her again, so she can show me what she made for her niece or nephew.  There is something magical about the first piece of knitting, even if it is a little off square or the tension isn't as consistent as it will be in a few months.  It means someone liked the craft enough (or loved the recipient enough) to keep at it until it's done.  

No comments:

Post a Comment