Sunday, April 21, 2013

Customer Service, Anyone?



So, I'm at the local grocery store waiting my turn at the Customer Service desk; the checker had overcharged me.  I reached the head of the line and laid my problem before the woman.

The phone rang.  With the speed of Pavlov's dog responding to the bell she turned and picked it up, turning her back on me.

The call went on: someone checking the price of season tickets to the local 6 Flags and, it seems, the cost of cakes.  A line was forming as they nattered on.

I cleared my throat.

No response.

I finally, with some difficulty, made eye contact.

"Repeat after me," I said loudly.  "I'm sorry,  I'm with a customer, please hold."

She jumped, put the woman on hold and turned to me.

"I have to answer the phone," she started to argue, but I cut her off.

"I've been in retail," I countered, "and you never abandon a customer in the middle of a transaction.  Now, about my refund?"

Sadly, this is not an isolated instance.  It has happened a lot lately.  It happened the same day at an
LYS that is famous for its customer service.  I received an apology, not an argument, at that store.

1 comment: