Tuesday, February 14, 2012

How I got here

There was a wonderful woman named Nellie Mann who lived with my Great Aunt Ilsa in Vermont. I was less than five years old when I first saw her making beautiful things with "string" (well, that's what it looked like to me) and a hook. She called it something that sounded like Crow Shay to my ears. She showed me how she did it, but at that age gnats have longer attention spans than I did so of course I forgot most of it. Our moving to Hawaii, far from my friend didn't help much, but I did remember what the "chain looked like and pestered my mother until she bought some string ( which she called yarn) in the garrish colors a child loves. And I chained happily away. We moved back to the mainland three years later, and I met Nellie Mann ( whose name, in my mind, had morphed into Nelli Knit) again. My attention span had improved, and with her help I started to crochet in earnest. Unfortunately, my skill was lacking so my flat crocheted pieces were wonvdfully three dimensionally warped. Over time I improved, increased my tool to yarn ratio from 1:1 to 2:1 and have been knitting and crocheting(and wet felting and weaving) ever since. But it was Nellie Knit who handed me my first hook and Hank of yarn: this is dedicated to her memory, with thanks and loving memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment